Wednesday 15 January 2014

Life has a Shape - Geometrically Speaking!

Yes, I believe so!

This has been a splinter in my mind for heaven knows how long but in my philosophical searches of how I define life, I guess I have found this shape that defines it.

It’s funny as to how I never understood Geometry in math classes but now I seem to be using it as a reference to represent something to tell you all :-)

Life for me… is a rhombus!

For a long time, I would say during my conversations on such topics that “life is a spectrum” and was even convinced  with that because people used the phrase “the other end of the spectrum” , which told me that there are 2 ends to a spectrum.

But reading more on Spectrum I found that it’s not a shape, wiki says, it’s a condition which is not limited to set of values. It means ‘image ‘or ‘apparition’. When white light was dispersed through a prism it emitted range of colors.

But I wasn’t wrong in my assumption either; it’s actually a combination of both, a spectrum and a rhombus and it would look something like this.


(The above is a pictorial representation which I created from other pictures I found in Google and I would like you to view the colors going till the end of the sides, you may ignore the arcs and black spots)

In human being’s existence of life I would ideally say that we move anywhere inside of this area at all times based on the experience we are facing at each time. Each color would represent the various emotional states that we are in and as the palette represents it could be combination of any of these states.

So your question could be, ‘what about it?’

More than the colours I think the ends are the most interesting part, I find the ends to be representing the extreme points of the human behavior. The good and bad, on and off, zero and one, God and devil, black and white.

This is why I feel we learn a lot about being “balanced” in life, to be in the central axis at all times in whichever colour we are in. Looking at these colours, you would be able to feel the exact state you are in at this time while you are reading this and you can pinpoint it, like on a map.

From the time we learnt about colours, one colour becomes our favorite well we might actually stay in the colour at all times, that’s our home state of existence, and that’s innate. But, imagine all of us were to stand in our favorite colour on the balanced central axis, you would see an array of all of us in all our hues but we would all be balancing our entire existence.

You know something interesting? Wiki says, the word "rhombus" comes from Greek (rhombos), meaning something that spins, which derives from the verb (rhembō), meaning "to turn round and round”. 
The word was used both by Euclid and Archimedes, who used the term "solid rhombus" for two right circular cones sharing a common base. The “spin” for me is attributed to the spinning of the world, how apt isn’t it? we are spinning inside our own rhombuses :-)

However, today we seem to be rocking this rhombus too much. I don’t think it’s going to hold for too long if all us choose to move to either sides. So let’s see if we can live a balanced life in the practical world taking some cues… sorry ‘hues’ out of this theory! Let me know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment